SNOLAB is an underground physics laboratory that sits 2km in Vale’s Creighton nickel mine built around the initial SNO experiement.
In 2015, SNO researchers, Arthur McDonald and Takaaki Kajita, won the Nobel Prize in Physics for the discovery of neutrino oscillations.
Dynamic Earth is an earth sciences museum focussed on geology and mining history exhibitions. The museum features the infamous landmark, the Big Nickel.
Sudbury’s interaction science museum featuring an IMAX threatre, a billion-year-old geologic fault, a 20-metre fin whale skeleton
They also offer a boat tour, the William Ramsey, and a walking tour, The Jim Gordon Boardwalk.
City of Lakes
The campus is surrounded by more than 300 lakes and is known for the aesthetic landscape and outdoor opportunities. Enjoy the many walking paths in the area. Perhaps take a stroll by the Vale Living with the Lakes Centre, one of the most environmentally well designed buildings in North America.
Other places worth checking out:
- Go for a walk in Bell Park or to AY Jackson Lookout (or both)
- Go to a free drive-in movie on Friday nights at Valley View Church
- Scale a wall at ARC Climbing
- Kayak on Kukagami Lake
- Try axe throwing at Nothern Axperts
- Bird watch at the Fielding Bird Sanctuary
- + tons of more you can find here: https://www.todocanada.ca/50-things-summer-greater-sudbury/
Spots to grab a bite:
- Sizzle Mongolian Grill
- Topper’s Pizza
- Tommy’s Not Here
- The Laughing Buddha
- Tucos Taco Lounge
- Bella Vita Cucina
- Respect is Burning Kitchen + Bar
- + tons of more found here: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/RestaurantsNear-g155016-d7888525-Laurentian_University_of_Sudbury-Sudbury_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html
Spots to grab a drink:
- The Alibi Room
- La Fromagerie
- The Dog House
- Eddie’s Restaurant
- Wacky’s Sudbury
- Hardrock42 Gastropub
- Taphouse Northern Grill + Pub